This was a nice meatless meal that didn’t leave us overly full. I did half of this recipe since it’s mainly just Adam and I eating. Even with just half, we had PLENTY of left overs!
- I didn’t have creme fraiche on hand, so I went with the heavy cream. Of course, I don’t know how it would have tasted different, but with the heavy cream it was so good!
- I used a mixture of dried/fresh herbs. Even with dried herbs, I could still taste the individual flavors of all three herbs.
- Don’t cut the eggplant to thick. Definitely stick to the suggested 1/2 inch (or smaller). I cut some bigger slices and they just didn’t cook like the smaller slices. If you do cut bigger slices, leave the dish in the oven longer than the suggested 30 minutes.
The Mexican Chicken Casserole
This will definitely be a dish we make over and over again. We like Taco Tuesdays at our house. And for MONTHS we have had them every single Tuesday. Just recently we have started to get burnt out on tacos. This is a nice alternative to still have a Mexican inspired meal during the week.
Side note: I follow this blog a lot. Amber has two adorable twin girls slightly older than Claire. I love her tips and tricks and since she’s a registered dietian, I feel like what I’m making is healthy and good for our family.
- I followed this recipe EXACTLY as Amber suggests. I did add the optional tomatoes and olives to the dish. I added the olives into the casserole before baking. Chopped tomatoes were added, as well as sour cream, after plates were served.
- This dish makes A LOT. My 9×13 casserole dish was full TO THE TOP! You wouldn’t want to half the recipe because of the many canned items that go in. So, plan to make this dish when you have a lot of mouths to feed or, as Amber suggests, portion out the casserole before baking and freeze half for a quick meal at another time!
- The shredded chicken was prepared in the crockpot throughout the day. Two chicken breast and 1 can of chicken broth. It cooked 6 hours on low. The chicken was shredded and additional broth was drained. It came out perfect!
- It was slightly spicy, which made me scared to serve to Claire. I messaged Amber on Instagram (@masseya) and she quickly responded to let me know it may be the Rotel. I used the original Rotel. She suggested to try the milder Rotel for the next go around!