Post Surgery Update

On January 3rd and 4th, I had surgery to remove Basal Cell Carcinoma that was discovered on the bridge of my nose. To read about the pre-surgery journey, read my blog post Sunscreen.

First Surgery-January 3rd:

Day one was the Mohs procedure done by a dermatologist. I was most nervous about this part. The Mohs surgery is a surgery that removes the least amount of healthy skin possible, taking only a layer of skin at a time to remove the tumor. The doctor removes a layer and then processes it on sight. The processing takes 45 minutes. If there are no cells in the margins, they bandage you up and you are good to go. If they do find cells, they continue the process: removal, process, removal, process until all is clear. As my doctor had hoped, he was able to remove all of the cells in the first go around. My worries of sitting there all day had disappeared. It took longer for the doctor to clean my face with rubbing alcohol then it did to perform the procedure. The first day was done and I was in little to no pain. All was good. There was no need for pain medicine, just some relaxing.

Second Surgery-January 4th: 

Day two was the day I got stitched up by a plastic surgeon. After a smooth day the day before, I was not nervous about this part until right before going. I had not seen what was under my bandages until I was shown a photo. The good news was that the doctor thought he could do a smaller stitching, which would lead to a smaller scar. That was music to my ears. The music stopped when the doctor had to put twice as much numbing agent into my nose, as he would be doing more intensive work for a longer period of time. This surgery was very, VERY painful. I compared this surgery to the first one as “100 times worse”. The procedure lasted about 30-40 minutes, in which the numbing began to wear off. I left in what I described to my sister as the worse pain I had ever been in from the neck up. After a stop at CVS for Lortab, Cherry Coke, and ice cream, I went home to “rest”. Lortab is NOT my friend. Lortab=nausea. I spent the rest of the evening and the whole next day nauseated AND in pain.

I finally began feeling more like myself yesterday, January 6th. I replaced the Lortab for Extra Strength Tylenol and I was able to begin eating some foods. I go back Tuesday, January 10th, to have my stitches removed and to see if everything has healed well and needs adjustment or not.

And since I can’t do a post without a picture, here’s what I came home to when I headed back to Baton Rouge. They didn’t leave my side Thursday afternoon/evening. 🙂


6 thoughts on “Post Surgery Update

  1. I’m glad to know you are on the mend! A very real learning experience for everyone to make sure we are protecting our skin with sunscreen. Hopefully your pain and healing will be short.

  2. Hi, I’m so sorry that you had to endure so much pain. Glad it is getting better. You can relax now and drink more coke and ice cream. School went well on Thursday. Take care.

  3. Brittney, I am so sorry to hear about that. I am glad you are feeling somewhat better and I hope this is the end of the ordeal. Sending you hugs and prayers!

  4. so sorry you had to go through that angel. glad to hear you are feeling better. lortab is no ones friend except the junkie down the road. with any pain med though you really need to eat good before taking it especially lortab. hope you heal beautifully and quickly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s